Thursday 19 December 2019

Undead - Existential Horror

UNDEAD - Existential Horror (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2019)
Couple of years ago I managed to get Undead's two releases: "Redemption" CD and "Blood Enemy" 7" EP. And back then I already gave an opinion that this is excellent band and I hope that they will record a full-length album one day. That day finally came, after Undead signed a pact with Godz ov War Productions and in the end of October, on the Halloween day, "Existential Horror" saw the light of the bloodmoon. I was almost 100% certain that they couldn't fuck it up and they will deliver killer portion of old school death metal. And they did, of corpse! Undead sounds awesome on this album and filled all my expectations. And if you like your death metal putrid and filled with the horror atmosphere then "Existential Horror" is going to be up your street also. 
"Existential Horror" is basically 32 minutes of straight forward, unrelenting piece of old school death metal, where not even a single second is wasted, but everything is packed with the proper, solid playing. It's one of those albums, which clicked with me very quickly. From the first seconds of the first song I knew it's gonna be a killer stuff and that it will please me fully. Even though it's harsh and aggressive piece, it was easy to get into it b,cause of its memorable riffage, simple song structures, characteristic chorus parts or even some melodic lines. Also, the production is quite clean, what also adds some more powerful vibe to the music. There may not be too much diversity between all these nine tracks, but because it’s all pretty short, fast and energetic, it doesn’t really bother me and never became a problem. And did I mention how much I love that eerie, haunted atmosphere, which is their music?  
Undead definitely have a strong affair with the Swedish death metal style, personally I would bring comparisons to such bands as Necrophobic, Entombed (obviously), and newer bands such as (early) Tribulation, Verminous, just to name only few...  So, it’s definitely my kind of music, don’t be surprised then that I like this album, despite its unoriginality or whatelse. Recommended stuff. 
Standout tracks: “Sin and Death”, “Curse of the Undead” 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment