Sunday 29 December 2019

General Surgery / Butcher ABC Split

GENERAL SURGERY / BUTCHER ABC Split (OBLITERATION Records CD 2009)
Among all grinding death metal bands, General Surgery is one of my very favourite acts. I absolutely love their music and appreciate it even more than early Carcass’ albums – and I say so despite the fact that Carcass was a big influence for General Surgery. At the same time, I feel that the Swedish band is criminally underrated. Maybe I am wrong or maybe it's because they do not release music that often - their last album is from 2009 and since then we only got a 7"EP and 12" split with Body Bag. Not much, you have to say. Some managed to forget about them and younger listeners probably have no idea band like this even exists. Hope that will change! 
But here's one chance to read few words on one of earlier releases - a killer split General Surgery / Butcher ABC, released by Japanese Obliteration Records in 2009. An excellent piece of grinding death metal, I think. General Surgery is absolutely in top form here, presenting seven killer songs, where not even a single second would sound false. An instrumental opening piece "Antemortem Symphony #9" immediately brings back the reek of putrefaction, with that characteristic riffage I love so much. And whether I hear their little bit slower or mid paced tracks like "Enforced Acceleration Disintegration Constant" and "Cadaverine Treatment Regimen" or fast grinding attack from "Anthropological Abattoir", I worship them. Of course vocals of Grant McWilliams and his two colleagues do the job also, just like the Carcass trio did! Anyway, every aspect of their songs is top notch - from the spotless, powerful production (play these songs loud and you will feel how energetic and aggressive they are!), through the performance, songwriting... I have only positive words for them. Excellent stuff, excellent band – real symphonies od sickness. 
Then Butcher ABC, who turned to be a great surprise for me on this split, because I never had a chance to hear this Japanese band before I got this split (and that was already few years ago). On this split they sound awesome. Sound wise their songs are a bit rawer, more obscure. But stylistically it’s quite similar, actually, but with less death metal influence. Still great though and sick as fuck. And in songs like “Fall from Grave” they also show a strong similarity to the British gods of grind. For Japanese band, it all sounds extremely good and I am very impressed. They even bring Carnage cover for the end... so, I do not need more. I need to get more records from Butcher ABC for F sake! 
Standout tracks: "Enforced Acceleration Disintegration Constant", “Cadaverine Treatment Regimen", “Fall from Grave” 
Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment