Saturday 7 September 2019

Crucifier - The Ninth Year

CRUCIFIER - The Ninth Year (ELEGY Records CD 2001)
Here's another retrospective material, which I've intensely played for past few days. And this one is from a band, which I think is very underrated and quite little known, despite its near 30 years long existence. This is Crucifier from USA, led by The Black Lourde of Crucifixion, who is the only original member involved in this band from its very beginning. "The Ninth Year" is a compilation, which gives you an interesting look into Crucifier's creations from the 90's, with songs from "Humans are Such Easy Prey" 1991 demo, "Crown of Thorns" 1992 demo, "By Disgrace of God" 1993 demo, "Powerless Against" 1996 EP and "Trafficking With the Devil" split with Nunslaughter. What a portion of devilish music it is!  
Stylistically I think we could put Crucifier next to the likes of Incantation, Acheron, Imprecation, Profanatica or Grand Belial's Key, depending really on what material we speak of. There're some, which sounded like a bestial death metal blasphemy alike to Incantation, but on some other releases Crucifier sounded a bit more black metal. I have to say that I prefer their purer death metal sound, I am big fan of these old US dark, satanic hordes, of their bestial evil sound, obscurity combined with heaviness... Crucifier delivered that style of metal of death perfectly, especially on "Humans are Such Easy Prey" demo. Fuckin heavy, vicious and harsh but brutal sound, some really killer doomy parts, deep, guttural vomits... Everything's there! "Crown of Thorns" demo is also in that same musical vein, with similarly raw sound and primeval, savage style. Another highlight is "By Disgrace of God" EP, originally released by Pagan Records, which simply is fantastic piece of death metal, probably the best one here! It should have been also released as a 7" vinyl, in my opinion, what a shame it has never been! 
Three years later "Powerless Against" appears and it looks like Crucifier took quite a turn in their musical direction, with black metal and even uglier, harsher sound. They lost a bit of brutality; I also think that these last two recordings aren't as good as their earlier works... Still solid, but I’m not quite as excited about them as I am for the previous works. I am glad then that Crucifier’s debut LP “Stronger than Passing Time” is again more death metal focused, it is a real crushing piece of satanic anthems. 
Definitely Crucifier came up here with recordings, which are not for everyone. I mean, harshness and almost primitive feel of this music, its obscure, morbid, satanic style will definitely loath many. I do not care for these weak people. In my opinion, this is absolutely great underground death / black metal filth, with many crushing songs, shitload of great riffs... And I just like that evil, blasphemous atmosphere of this music. It's a shame that Crucifier is so underrated, but if you worship some of these bands I mentioned above, but never had a chance to hear Crucifier, give them a chance. 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment