Sunday 28 July 2019

Centinex - Redeeming Filth

CENTINEX - Redeeming Filth (AGONIA Records - LP 2014)
When Centinex announced their return after few years when the band was buried in the rotten grave, I was sceptical. Why call it quits and then bring the dead corpse back? Especially that they had new band Demonical, which was doing so, so well and even exceeded my expectations, also when compared to Centinex. But "Redeeming Filth" came out in 2014, fine! But I am afraid that I still cannot say that this album convinced me that the reunion was necessary (yes, I know that band can do whatever they want, it's their band - but (!) I have right for my opinion). It doesn't matter how much I try, I just can't shake off the feeling that this album is soooo mediocre that it's just redundant. 
Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong about the technical side of this record. The production of "Redeeming Filth" is excellent, these guys are very good musicians, know well what death metal is about and their skills are great. They came out here with several killer riffs, I like the vocals of Alexander Högbom a lot, so technically I can listen to this album with no problems. But it doesn't help to get rid of this feeling that "Redeeming Filth" is just mediocre album and my life wouldn't be emptier if it has never been recorded. 
There're two problems here. First - "Redeeming Filth" doesn't sound like Centinex from their earlier albums. Forget about anything they have recorded between 1992's "Subconscious Lobotomy" and 2005's "World Declension". Forget about the melodic, dark and vicious death metal, which was their domain before. Instead "Redeeming Filth" is a simplistic, groovy death metal in the US style of bands such as Obituary, Six Feet Under, Massacre or Bone Gnawer. Not my favourite style of death metal, to be honest. Which is maybe why I feel so quickly bored when I listen to this album. I feel like I've been listening to the same recycled riffs over and over again, the same vocal lines, with the same tempo and rhythm. Simplistic and so typical song structures based on verse / chorus / verse / chorus and foreseeble arrangements do not help. Of course there are couple of songs, which standout on the album. And as I mentioned, generally this album is OK, it's solid, it's listenable death metal piece... But so quickly forgettable that I think it's just unnecessary to bother your head with it. In that case, I'm glad there's only 32 minutes of music, otherwise it would only be even more monotonous. I can live with 32 minutes and give it a spin once every five years maybe. 
Standout tracks: "Unrestrained", "Moist Purple Skin"  
Verdict: 65/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment