Thursday 21 February 2013

Blaze of Perdition - Necrosophist



 
BLAZE OF PERDITION - Necrosophist (PAGAN Records - 7"EP 2013)
“Necrosophist”, which is a new release from Polish black metal masters Blaze of Perdition, was yet another must to have piece of black wax, as I really liked both full length albums, which this band has spawned. They immediately joined Furia, Kriegsmaschine and Mgła to my favourite Polish black metal bands and surely it will be damn difficult for someone to move them from the throne. Anyway, this new 7”EP consists of two songs – one of which is a new track and another is Dissection cover. And “Night’s Blood”, originally from “Storm of the Light’s Bane”, has been performed here in truly excellent way and I dare to say that some of you may think this is a new, never unheard before version of this track, so well and carefully played it was. Blaze of Perdition didn’t toy with any changes and rearrangements and just played this track as it originally was and I like it a lot. But it was the new track from them, which I was more curious about. Cover is just an addition to it…
Blaze of Perdition used to have Watain and other Swedish religious black metal bands written all over their faces in almost every review they got. Now, after they released “Necrosophist” that may change into Dissection hehe. Clearly the opening theme for the title song from this EP has been influenced by Dissection and I really mean it, as every time I hear it I have such a strong resemblance, sort of déjà-vu feeling, to “When Dead Angels Lie” that it is a bit annoying almost… But fuck that, I still really like that theme; it truly is infectiously catchy and well played. Besides, for the rest of the song Blaze of Perdition walks slightly different paths; maybe it’s something between Dissection, Necrophobic, Sacramentum, Unanimated – so, the old, cult Swedish melodic black / death metal scene - and that damn Watain also, but everything played in more personal way, which is good of corpse. Even if I’m still trying to decide whether I like “Necrosophist” more than the two previous albums from the band, there’s no denying that this track is really, really good… different to the previous recordings, but good. I definitely like the vocals a lot, as they’re so diverse and sometimes just sick, but other time they’re screamed in clearer, epic way, which is damn good. From the other hand I feel like sometimes the band tried to put too much into this song and as so that finishing, over lengthy guitar solo is completely useless and I would rather just hear the plain riff, as the solo annoys me a bit. Other than that, the song is vicious, mostly damn fast and aggressive as hell, with many variations… Yeah, it is good song, definitely, stylistically different to their previous works, but it is up to you if you like it more or not. Personally I cannot decide… I do like this EP a lot, it is a great addition to my collection, but I’ll need to hear more music, as “Necrosophist” alone is not able to convince me 666%.
Final rate: 75/100

No comments:

Post a Comment