Wednesday 20 October 2021

Codex Nero - The Great Harvest of Death

CODEX NERO - The Great Harvest of Death (LIBERKHAOS Productions - CD 2021)

I didn’t expect to find this CD in my mailbox, I never even had any info from Liberkhaos Productions that they’re sending me their newest release. But I’m not gonna lie to you – like everyone else, I also like such surprises a lot haha. Especially if I like the album a lot. With "The Great Harvest of Death" I can easily admit that it’s a very good album and a fantastic discovery. Sadly, I don't know anything about Codex Nero, except that this is the first album of this Polish band. I do believe though that with time we will find out more about them. 

As for now, let's enjoy this splendid release, shall we? Codex Nero is a black metal band, but their style is more unique and original than your typical and overplayed stuff. You could hear that all over this album, not only with the way the music has been arranged, but also with rather unique riffage. Codex Nero mostly avoids that straight forward black metal savagery, in favour of a bit more melodic and slower songs. What comes out of it has a deep dark, ritualistic and almost mesmerizing feel, which I do enjoy. There are obviously some faster parts too, especially "Spiritual Hibernation" is filled with them, having more uncompromising and vicious sound. Yet, even then that occult, morbid aura is present. That aside, I think that all songs gathered on “The Great Harvest...” have that same, high quality, the album never tends to sound tired or repetitive and is very captivating. That is despite having songs like “Misanthropy”, which may feel a little lacking the powerful, ferocious aspect and sound a bit monotonous – at least on the first listen.  

To me, everything here feels to be in the right place, have a precise and thought through meaning... And as I mentioned, Codex Nero seems to focus on the atmospheric side of black metal the most, and they do so with use of more original riffage and melodies. Even vocals are not your typical black metal savage shriek. Taking all these aspects together, I can say that “The Great Harvest...” is one of the most intriguing albums from the Polish black metal scene for sure. 

And you know what? When I listen to Codex Nero, I have a strong feeling like these guys would fit the World Terror Commitee roster, having quite alike approach to the music as some bands from that label - which is a compliment from me for Codex Nero. Yeahhhhh, I recommend to check this CD right now. 

Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment