Wednesday 27 October 2021

Funeral Chasm - Omniversal Existence

FUNERAL CHASM - Omniversal Existence (AESTHETIC DEATH - CD 2021)

Funeral doom metal is not my most preferable among the extreme styles of music and to be honest, I listen to such stuff very, very little. There were few bands, which were able to catch my interest in the past (like Encoffination), but even for them I have to be in a mood, if I want to listen to such music. Too often that music is a challenge, with constantly same miserable tempo and riffs and even more dull vocals. Too often it is just boring to death. So, pardon me if I don’t sound like a big enthusiast of such albums as "Omniversal Existence" from the project called Funeral Chasm. I just cannot be. But I did give this CD few spins, as it did deserve my attention. 

Why? Very nice artwork and digipak presentation is one thing. And because it managed not to put me in coma is a second. But most of all, Funeral Chasm didn’t come with insanely long album – which is good. And they actually did diversify their music a little, even if "Omniversal Existence" is played in the slow tempo all the way through to its gloomy end. But there's a good balance between these crushing, heavy wall of doom guitar riffage and more melodic and sometimes calmer, quieter parts. Also, vocals can vary - from deep, bestial growl to wailing clean singing. They (clean vocals) also deserve attention, I think, for quite original sound. Really, I think that Funeral Chasm has done everything to stay in the funeral doom niche without ruining that miserable, sorrowful atmosphere, but managed to be creative and more interesting. If you check such “Sunrise Vertigo” then I am sure you will know what I meant. This album, if played in proper conditions, can really catch attention, I think. It is heavy, it is very atmospheric, it is depressing, but also insanely dark. I don’t know if such style of music is very popular nowadays or not, to be honest. People mostly listen to black or old school death metal, I believe. But if you would like to challenge yourself with something a bit different, then Funeral Chasm can be a good option. 

Verdict: 65/100

No comments:

Post a Comment