Saturday 21 August 2021

Serpentrance - Akra Tapeinosis

SERPENTRANCE - Akra Tapeinosis (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2021)

When reviewing Gnosis with "Omens from the Dead Realm" album recently, I mentioned that this is one of the best black metal releases in some time for me. And surely one of the best, if not the best, Godz ov War release till then. Well, I didn't have to wait long before my (brave or not) statement would go under a serious doubt. Because here is Serpentrance with their debut album "Akra Tapeinosis". This album also left me totally fuckin' speechless. Maybe even more than Gnosis. For two reasons - I didn't expect anything from this completely unknown band at all. And they are from Russia - and damn, have I ever heard at least a decent black metal from there? There are some great death metal bands there, sure, but black metal? Hmmm, I don't remember anything worthy. Serpentrance come out of nowhere and just blew my mind off. I like every aspect of their music and what they did on "Akra Tapeinosis" - starting with a brilliant mixture of black and doom, even a bit of death metal and finishing with that great necro, obscure atmosphere, which so overwhelms the listener from the very first till very last second of the album.  

Oh, the atmosphere is the most important here. So, I do need to mention first how mesmerizing is that music. While Serpentrance do like to burst with some fast and aggressive parts (where they have almost a bit of that violent war metal feel with its chaos and viciousness), for most of the time music slows down into doomy, hypnotizing parts. In result, it can put you almost in sort of ritualistic trance – which is where the band name fits so well. The atmosphere of the music and its riffs, even vocals are really awesome. In songs like "Underneath Babylon" it sounds absolutely brilliant, this song goes for over ten minutes and there's not even a single dull moment or something. Great riffs, fantastic vocals, including some female yells, which so well can complete that haunted, eerie aura... Top quality. Serpentrance came up with many great, but most importantly fresh, ideas, their arrangements are all interesting and the music does not go below certain (high) quality even for a minute. Obviously, I am sure that not everyone will be able to catch that feeling of Serpentrance music, it’s not really black metal for everyone, especially since it doesn’t necessarily sound like a typical black metal. But that it yet another great aspect of "Akra Tapeinosis". I am convinced and really appreciated what Serpentrance did here, so I can only recommend this album – get the CD or the vinyl, but please give them a chance. 

Standout track: “Underneath Babylon” 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment