Tuesday 10 August 2021

Apostasy - Death Return

APOSTASY - Death Return (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2021)

What a great surprise came from Chilean band Apostasy. They just released an album that I can say belongs to the very best thrash metal recordings in many, many years, in my opinion. And there's not even a tiny bit of exaggeration here, believe my words. But they so fiercely crack necks with all these savage riffs, they so wonderfully came up with that very old school 80's style of thrash metal, including a bit of death metal, almost like fuckin Possessed on their debut... You just have to love it. Obviously, it is all updated, for instance the production is top notch, it’s deliciously powerful, yet harsh and aggressive. Just as I like it. 

Honestly, when I listen to "Death Return", I feel young, almost like when as a kid I was thrashing all the best shit from the likes of Slayer, Metallica, Testament, Kreator... Apostasy is not in the same league, of course they are not. And no one ever will be anymore. But for fuck sake, they do have that one thing, which constitutes killer thrash metal, or any metal. actually RIFFS! There are some wonderful guitar parts on "Death Return", which sound classic and insanely memorable, yet savage and vicious. Total headbanger kind of stuff, if you know what I mean. Apostasy came up with great songs, every part of "Death Return" sound awesome, there's not even a second of wimpy or lame shit. Just straight forward, fierce thrash. Most importantly, it is fast, very fast. Not all the time, there are some slower songs, but majority of the album runs fast and mercilessly. And more so, vocal wise this album also sounds sweet. And that is something important for me, because often I like the music, but thrash metal vocals can sound fuckin stupid and shit. In case of Apostasy there is everything as I like and vocals are more like Angelripper’s than Souza's. They're almost black metalish sometimes, which is very cool, reminding me Merciless too. 

Yeah, all in all, "Death Return" is just a great album. I am very excited and surprised, because I cannot say that the previous Apostasy recordings were that special. This album is, definitely. I recommend it strongly then, get it and bang your head!!!!  

Standout tracks: “Jus Primae Noctis”, “Son of Hate” 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment