Sunday 8 May 2022

The Dead Goats - Baptized in the Grave

THE DEAD GOATS - Baptized in the Grave (DEFORMEATHING - 7"EP 2019)

There are bands, which I can buy new releases from blindly. And I know I will not be disappointed. The Dead Goats are such band. I managed to grab all vinyl releases, which they did so far – all albums, splits, EPs... and I like them all equally. "Baptized in the Grave" came pretty late to me, but it’s better late than never. Especially that once again I can say that I really enjoyed this music and Goats filled all expectations, even if it’s just a seven inch release. 

Side A song called "Baptized in the Grave" is pretty much standard D-beat Swedish death metal song in the Entombed tradition, although rawer, definitely faster and maybe even more vicious. It is a killer song, especially with that high speed, which dominates through the first half of it... while the second half is a lovely "Halloween" theme played the death / doom metal way - which is another Entombed resemblance (if you remember what they did to "Phantasm" theme in "Left Hand Path"). Honestly? I think that this "Halloween" theme sounds fuckin amazing. I get goose-skin every time I hear it. Excellent stuff. 

Side B brings us two songs. The first one is called "Fancy Funeral" and well, it's obviously in the same vein as Side A track. But I cannot expect anything else, The Dead Goats does their job very well, they are better than the majority of so-called Swedish sounding death metal bands, in my opinion, maybe because it’s not always a pure death metal (huge crust and punk influence). Oh, just listen to that pounding bass, sick riffs and dirty production – what else do we need?? As for The Baboon Show cover „You Got a Problem Without Knowing It”, I have never heard of this band and do not know this song in its original version. So, I cannot compare it to this cover. But I think that this The Dead Goats recording sounds cool, for its punky death metal style. And it’s always nice to hear something different for the cover than your 244th version of “Supposed to Rot”, right? 

Verdict: 80/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment