Monday 6 December 2021

Incarceration - Empiricism

INCARCERATION - Empiricism (DAWNBREED - 12"MLP 2021)

It's been some time now since Incarceration released their album titled "Catharsis", I was really glad then when I've read news about the coming of "Empiricism" - a four song EP, released on vinyl by Dawnbreed Records. Let me just remind you that this is not the first time these two cooperate, as "Sacrifice" EP - which was a debut release for Incarceration - was presented by no other label, but Dawnbreed too. And as for myself, I've been Incarceration follower since that old EP (I remember doing interview with Daniel at that time), obviously I also liked "Catharsis" too, don’t be surprised if I say that "Empiricism" was a must have for me. And here it is in my hands. 

Honesty, at first when you start to listen to "Empiricism" you may need to get used to its harsh production. It feels sadistic and merciless. And your ears need to adopt to that dose of fury and chaos, even pissed off screams of Daniel will drill into your mind with madness. Obviously, the more I have been playing this EP, the more it started to speak to me, almost feeling like a sadomasochistic pleasure. I suppose that the production will be a subject to discussion for many, but do not expect this music to sound pleasant and polite. Incarceration is vicious, brutal and bleak through all these four songs. With such "Beneath the Chains of Existences" they increase the speed, blasting like crazy, destroying everything on its way, while with the likes of "Chasms of Metaflesh" you could be surprised how catchy and headbanger-friendly riffs are, with almost old Morbid Angel-esque frenzy and feeling. For me, it is brilliant, also best song on the entire vinyl. Other time Incarceration has no problem with delivering haunting melodic lines, which bring some ancient Swedish death metal like early Entombed / Nihilist to mind... So, it is old school to the bone with the right influences and more so, with honesty and enthusiasm. Dare I say, it is exactly I really do prefer to listen to such bands as Incarceration nowadays from the boring new albums of old crews. This EP is brilliant. 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment