Monday 6 December 2021

Cadaveric Fumes / Skelethal - Heirs of Hideous Secrecies

CADAVERIC FUMES / SKELETHAL - Heirs of Hideous Secrecies (HELLS HEADBANGERS - Split 7" 2018)

French death metal has been ruining my hearing a lot recently. I was listening to Loudblast for few days like crazy – and I did listen to them loud, just as the name obligates! Now time came for a young blood and two bands, which I have tried to follow ever since they did their first vinyl releases. Here are Cadaveric Fumes and Skelethal with a splendid seven inch split. And yes, it was one of the “must have” titles for me. 

The cryptic odour first comes from the Cadaveric Fumes two hideous anthems. This band is absolutely brilliant, I think, their music has slightly Swedish influence, especially from such acts as Repugnant or (early) Morbus Chron, with similar vicious, morbid riffage and obscure, sinister atmosphere. This death metal is raw and savage, it has a great feeling and I simply love the riffage, as well as that harsh growl, which comes from the throat of Romain Gibet. I guess the best thing is that their music has also a small progressive touch too, which is something quite uncommon in this sort of death metal savagery. Both songs on this 7" are just fantastic, in my opinion. 

Skelethal are no pussies neither. And guess what, their death metal is also strongly in the Swedish vein, but more in its classic style of the old Entombed for instance. And I mean not just the riffage, but even that fat, ugly production, which can be so alike to the old shit from Sunlight. As a fan of the Swedish death metal, I can only jump in excitement. Or excrements – whatever pleases me at the moment. When compared to Cadaveric Fumes, you could hear much more aggressive and straight forward approach to death metal, with that characteristic D-beat, played in faster, more ferocious way. Skelethal sounds great, this is again that kind of death metal, which quickly hits my attention and perfectly suits my musical taste. I don't really need more than that, just as I don't need the band to be super original.  

And my final word is: I just love such split releases, whether they are on vinyl or on CD. Two bands, which play my most favourite genre of metal. Great riffs, great songs, lovely artwork... Fantastic addition to my collection.

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment