Monday 6 December 2021

Isolated - The Enemy of Reason

ISOLATED - The Enemy of Reason (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2021)

Well, this CD is a nice reminder of a very little-known Polish death metal band, which was active for nearly two decades, but never really managed to spread its name outside the small circle of maniacs. The band is called Isolated - and I actually know them from "Descent on the Cross" album, which I got for the review many years ago (back in 2001 exactly!). This album wasn't something extraordinary, it especially suffered for a weak production... so I have not played it for ages and basically forgot about Isolated. Until now, when Godz ov War exhumed an album recorded in 2012 and called "The Enemy of Reason". It was never released on CD until now. Well, after giving this album a dozen of listens today, I need to say that it would be a great waste if it remained unreleased. Isolated really recorded a solid and crushing piece of death metal, I am sure maniacs will love it...  

I do like it too. Over the whole album there's a nice Immolation influence floating, which you could hear not only in the riffs and characteristic arrangements, but even in some vocal patterns and lyrics ("Kill the god, he must be dead" brings rather obvious resemblance... but there's nothing wrong about it). You could hear also a lot of the classic Morbid Angel-esque fierceness and generally, Isolated really have that same vicious and almost hypnotizing riffage style to these two classic bands. What matters the most is that "The Enemy of Reason" is not a lame copy, but all seven songs really sound great and strong. Riffs are awesome, the whole performance and arrangements are super tight too... OK, I may admit that I am not a big fan of the vocals - I prefer more natural, deeper growl, because it sounds more powerful. I suppose that on "The Enemy of Reason" it was supposed to sound a bit demonic or something, but I am not entirely convinced. Other than that, everything is great. The production, the music - quality of "The Enemy of Reason" is fantastic, which is why I am so surprised that this album had to wait to be released for so long. Better late than never, as they say though. 

Standout tracks: “The God Must be Dead”, “Possessed Invocations” 

Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment