Friday 17 September 2021

Grieving - Songs for the Weary

GRIEVING - Songs for the Weary (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2021)

Greg from Godz ov War do surprise from time to time and puts some less obvious sounding bands in his label. But to hear such Grieving right next to Cultum Interitum was the biggest surprise of all so far hah. Luckily, it turned out to be good, so I can only admire this guy's nose for good bands. But what is Grieving? Well, they play classic (stoner) doom metal! And are Polish, what also surprised me, because I don’t think such music is so common on this land. All band members are also in more black or death metal acts, but I don't care about most of them, so that was not a selling point for me, by the way. But let's go to the business. 

I'm not big expert on that sort of metal. But I do like to spin some old Sabbath albums from time to time, like everyone else. And I do like some other old bands too, mostly giving them a listen when doing some work and just playing some music from YouTube with headphones on my ears. It is quite relaxing, you know hah! Well, to be honest Grieving really did surprise with their quality. Their music is so memorable and so catchy that it is impossible to resist it. I love these stoned riffs, which pit you in that heroin trance of some sort. They are just monstrous and super catchy. And fuck, vocals are excellent. Wojciech Kałuża sometimes sounds like the Stanley dude from Alice In Chains (“This Godless Chapel”), other time he reminds me Reverend Bizarre dude...  That flow and doomy riffage do remind me Reverend Bizarre, but also Cathedral, Saint Vitus or Count Raven. And probably many other bands, as I doubt that Grieving was doing anything extra original. I don’t even care, but I do enjoy "Songs for the Weary" a lot. This album is awesome and from the songwriting to its flawless, powerful production, it has everything you need. Damn, what a nice surprise (yeah, I already used that word few times earlier hah). And a great break from the usual black and death metal shit I terrorize my ears every day hah! Give them a spin! 

Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment