Tuesday 15 December 2020

Renunciation - The Terminal Archetype

RENUNCIATION - The Terminal Archetype (BRUTAL CAVE Productions - CD 2020)

Here is "The Terminal Archetype" by the Russian band Renunciation. According to Metal Archives the same EP can be also obtained in the instrumental version, which is quite interesting idea... But here's the proper version, released on CD by Brutal Cave. 

Renunciation, let's make it simple, plays melodic black / death metal. And honestly, I am far from loving it. But it’s more due to the fact that it’s not a musical style I would like, not because the music is so worthless or something like that. I can definitely say that these guys have good musical skills, that the music has many hooks, well listenable melodies, plenty of leads or whatever. I can add that the production is also pretty clean and modern. And I am sure that there will be many, who will enjoy this CD. Not me though, because as I mentioned, it’s not my style. 

For me personally, it's too melodic, too soft, there's too much of that "friendly" and potentially Nuclear Blast wannabie type of metal - something I just loath. It reminds me Children of Bodom for instance, and that's the band I simply hate. Renunciation has similar style of guitar harmonies, screaming vocals, etc., with slight heavy metal like influence. Even when they speed up, like in the title song, the music just feels like a weak slap, instead of crushing, ferocious punch. Renunciation tries to create that dark, melancholic (sometimes) atmosphere, but that’s not how you do it, according to my book. 

But whatever. As I said - I don't like it, it's too mediocre for me and I rather feel bored by such music.. I doubt then that I will want to play it again any time soon. 

Verdict: 50/100



No comments:

Post a Comment