Tuesday 15 December 2020

Mercyless / Avulsed - Split EP


MERCYLESS / AVULSED - Split (XENOCORP - 7'EP 2017)

Here's cool 7" piece of wax, which is a split between two legendary European death metal acts Avulsed and Mercyless. I couldn't let myself miss it, so a copy joined my collection. And I have to say that it is really nice split, even if you won't hear new songs from both bands. But re-recorded old tracks, which sometimes is also a nice idea, if we speak of some very old songs and when their re-recorded versions do actually refresh the old riffs and arrangements. 

That's definitely the case of Mercyless' "Without Christ", which originally appeared on one of my most favourite old death metal records, "Abject Offerings". I love this song, these technical, yet so sick and brutal sounding riffs... The re-recorded version sounds awesome, in my opinion, sound wise it's obviously more updated, which made the song lose a bit of its harshness slightly. But it's powerful and damn ferocious anyway and just excellent piece of old school death / thrash metal. Mercyless kills. 

As for Avulsed, I honestly don't know the original version of "Hidden Perversions", because I kind of missed many albums from this band and hardly know any of their stuff. Don't ask me why, it's just what happened and let's leave it. But I like this song also, it's brutal, slightly melodic here and there, but old school, or let’s say traditional death metal. Good riffs, Dave’s vocals are great and this song also is a savage and crushing piece of metal. Makes me want to catch up on their old albums. I should. 

Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment