Thursday 29 November 2018

Spectral Voice / Phrenelith - Split

SPECTRAL VOICE / PHRENELITH Split (IRON BONEHEAD / DARK DESCENT 7"EP 2016)
At the time, when I was buying this split 7’EP I had not much clue about both of the bands participating on it. I was eager to get this piece of wax anyway, because they seemed like interesting newcoming acts and Dark Descent always knew where to look for killer, unknown death metal bands. Couple of years later Spectral Voice and Phrenelith have already released their debut full length albums and I think that they immediately became everyone’s favourites. Yes, definitely these are two hot names in the field of underground obscure death metal movement. And this split is not so easy to find anymore, so I am very happy that I bought it when it was still new.  
And what can I say... these bands were seriously good even before they did “Eroded Corridors of Unbeing” and “Desolate Endscape”. On this split 7” each band delivers one song, which is exclusive for this release and each really blows my head off with this filthy, mutilating death metal. Very downtuned, brutal, fast, yet with some massive slower parts to get more interesting and monstrous result, these are some wonderful tunes. Sure, the production is rather obscure, especially in Spectral Voice's song, but I would never say it's something what would have a negative influence on the music.  
Especially Phrenelith's "Once Fertile Soil" sounds powerful and really makes my ears bleed, when I play this track loud. Their riffs are fantastic, the atmosphere is really dark and sepulchral, which is something I like a lot. Only the vocals make me think that they were done without idea, just few grunts here and there to accompany the guitar wallMeanwhile Spectral Voice's "Peeled Veins" is faster, more brutal, nastier... but equally killer. In the end, I think, we get two absolutely fantastic songs from two great bands. And so, this split is just a must to have, in my opinion. And you better also get yourself a copy! 
Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment