Friday 8 April 2022

Brutally Deceased - Satanic Corpse

BRUTALLY DECEASED - Satanic Corpse (DOOMENTIA - LP 2017)

I did a quick search on this blogspot and realized that I have not reviewed anything from Brutally Deceased yet! There is an interview I did with the band - from a few years back and it is a joined interview of Brutally Deceased and Heaving Earth - but no reviews! This is weird, because I truly think that this is one of the better XXI Century death metal bands infected with the Swedish sound virus. So, time to change that. I could pick any of three full albums from these Czech maniacs and each would get a similar, positive and flattering opinion. And I was listening to intensely all these records recently. All in all, I picked "Satanic Corpse" for no other reason than this is what was on the turntable this morning.

And what a great record it is. Of corpse for some moaners it will sound just like any other Swedish death metal, no better, no worse, but just typical - and they will probably say that it is better to listen to Dismember anyway! Ahhh, fuck that stupidity. I could never understand how narrow can some people be and stick to just old records, with their heads deep in their asses. Who cares anyway... Well, every song from Brutally Deceased screams "how great this band is!" and honestly, if "Satanic Corpse" was released back in the 90's it would be praised as another classic death metal record. Everything here, from start to finish, sounds great. The production is sweet, I love that energetic, full vicious intensity of it and fat, heavy guitar tuning. Songs nicely combine brutality with groove, harmony and dark, eerie horror atmosphere. Everything is highly catchy and memorable, in my opinion "Satanic Corpse" is the most melodic album in Brutally Deceased discography, yet it doesn't influence the aggression of death metal at all. You will find here as many blasting parts as the slower stuff, so there's just a good balance and diversity everywhere. "Satanic Corpse" has obviously many Dismember influences - in "At One With the Dead" it is maybe even too obvious haha - or Bloodbath, but there are even some At the Gates harmonies here and there too ("Hostile Earth"). All proper sources of influence, right guys? 

All in all, I think that "Satanic Corpse" is a superb album. Even if I may consider Brutally Deceased's debut LP as my favourite (because it has that raw, dark production, which I like the most), "Satanic Corpse" also deserves the most positive review too. There's just nothing that I wouldn't like. And that amazing Girardi artwork speaks for itself too. Highly, highly recommended piece of death metal!

Standout tracks: "The Art of Dying", "The Disclosure", "At One With the Dead", "Where No Gods Dare"

Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment