Monday 14 March 2022

Crucifire - Thy Curse Denied

CRUCIFIRE - Thy Curse Denied (CALABAZO Records - 7"EP 2006)

Many moons ago, nearly 20 years ago, I received a demo from an Australian band called Crucifire. This demo was called "Unblessed unto Hatred" and I remember I loved it. I conducted an interview with the band's vocalist Darfiend - who was also in an excellent band called Encabulous... but soon after that chat I had Crucifire split up. "Thy Curse Denied" is their last recording and this EP was released on vinyl by Calabazo Records (which is the same label, which did Necros Christos 7" "Curse of the Necromantical Sabbath"!). But not many people remember Crucifire, which is a shame, because I feel like this band would obliterate half of the current death metal scene easily. At the same time their music would so nicely fit nowadays obscure death metal bulldozers perfectly! What a shame then that most people have no idea how good "Thy Curse Denied" is. 

Well, in few words - this is heavy as fuck, crushing, cavernous death metal. There's a vast influence from the mighty Incantation in it, but also from bands like Acheron or Imprecation. That shit sounds bestial, evil, furious, fast and it destroys. "Realm of the Risen" is one of those songs, which can easily turn your place into ruin and I love that harsh, old school feel and production of it. These riffs are insanely infectious and strong, exactly kind of stuff I love to hear. The title song from side B is no less brilliant and Mystifier cover served for a dessert is a nice end of the EP. For me, it's an excellent, hugely underrated and unknown piece of death metal. It is easy to get it on Discogs, so you better spend few euros and get a copy. No wimp shit there! 

Verdict: 90/100


And this is my old interview with Darkfied (from PANZERFAUST zine #IV, released in 2004 or 2005, I am not sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment