Saturday 13 March 2021

Katachthon - Προ πάντων αρχή

KATACHTHON - Προ πάντων αρχή (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2021)

It seems that every week, when you don't discover new band is just wasted. So, here is one band, which is completely new to me, but which I was lucky to get last week on CD from Fallen Temple. This is a Greek beast called Katachthon with a compilation that contains "Προ πάντων αρχή" EP, "Συρακούσιος τύραννος" EP and "Οιωνός θανάτου" EP. Ahhh, all these titles are completely enigmatic to me, but I quite like that Katachthon writes everything in their native language, as it gives their music more original touch... It kind of reminds me that same feeling, which comes from some South American bands, which also use their own language. It's always something different from the usual English. 

Musically, "Προ πάντων αρχή" has also a lot in common with the South American style of extreme metal, but obviously the classic Greek sound has also influenced Katachthon strongly. But what they've done here is that the music is entirely focused on that harsh, raw, vicious riffage, there's no use of keyboards or anything what would give the music more mystical or epic feel. Not to mention a complete lack of melodies. But that doesn't ruin the album, actually I have to admit that I find "Προ πάντων αρχή" as something truly interesting and also refreshing, because I have not heard something like that in some time now. I guess you can rather expect something in the vein of Unholy Archangel than Necromantia here. And that mentioned similarity to the South American sound also. I guess we can say that the music can be equally called death / black metal as it can be called war metal, especially for its bestial and savage sound. If that makes any sense...  

Anyway, I like this shit. Especially the first part of the CD is my favourite, which is the four songs EP "Προ πάντων αρχή" (because I think it’s faster and more aggressive), but the other two EPs, which sound even more obscure and morbid, are also damn cool. Katachthon is definitely a project to check, so contact Fallen Temple for more details. 

Verdict: 70/100


No comments:

Post a Comment