Thursday 24 October 2019

Erupted Evil - Ghoul

ERUPTED EVIL - Ghoul (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2019)
When I got Erupted Evil CD from Fallen Temple I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this band. I didn't know them before, I had no clue what music they could play or if it's good or rubbish. Now, after half a dozen of spins I am much smarter and I can start this review with one short sentence: Erupted Evil is fuckin awesome! Right from the first song I listened to, I knew it's gonna be something for me, my kind of music. And it is, "Ghoul" quickly became one of my personal favourites from this year when speaking of the Polish scene. 
What do we have here then? Well, this is actually second time I write this review (first one got accidentally deleted) and in the previous version I wrote some band names to give you an idea what Erupted Evil may sound like, so you could have a smart comparison. But fuck it, I'm not gonna do it again (even if their bandname is I think taken from an old 1989 demo from one Dutch band some of you may have heard of). Oh, just listen to the music, forget about comparisons. Of course "Ghoul" takes influences from the 80’s and 90's extreme metal records fully. But what I absolutely love is that they do not limit themselves to only one scene, one sound or style. There's equally as much of death metal as it is of doom and black metal. OK, maybe black metal is in advantage, generally the whole atmosphere of the music is very dark, obscure, creepy and sinister, very alike to some old black metal albums. Heavy riffage, good balance between slow paced parts (often accompanied by great keyboard sound, which even adds more of that ritualistic, eerie aura) and bestial, faster songs... Some very good ideas, awesome riffs and just good songwriting - this is what I can say about "Ghoul". Oh, the production is also perfect for that sort of music - not too clean, harsh enough, but nothing like a primitive black metal recorded in the shittiest bunker, where you have no clue what the band plays. And I think these are some of the best vocals I have heard from a Polish band in a while. Ghastly as fuck! Oh, this album is just great, not too long, not too short, without even a second of boredom and it even has a cover from one of my favourite American satanic bands. It is enough to give Erupted Evil support and recommend "Ghoul" to all maniacs.  
“Sleeping in the Coffin”, “Soul Snatcher”, “Kości 
Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment