Wednesday 22 August 2018

Stench - Venture

STENCH - Venture (AGONIA Records - LP 2013)
I really like what Jonathan Hultén and Johannes Andersson do, whether in Tribulation or in their (now sadly defunct) side project Stench. And I don't really care if some moaners say that this is trendy and hugely overrated hipster shit. I don't agree and my answer is that "The Formulas of Death" is one of the best albums in recent years. But in case you're not so much fond of that "gothic / horror" vibe of Tribulation, maybe you should check Stench, whose music is much more vicious and aggressive. Obviously there are some similarities between both bands, like some riffs and especially that tendency to use eerie, creepy melodies is something that both bands share. I don't think you can mistake it with anything else, because Hultén / Andersson have such a characteristic style. But as I already mentioned, if you think that Tribulation is too progressive or even too mellow sometimes, maybe you'll like Stench. The first album "In Putrescence" was really damn good, striking ferocious, but dark and morbid death / black metal. With the second album "Venture", released by Agonia Records in 2014, Stench continued the style from the previous record, again blending the harshness of black metal, aggression of death metal with some razor sharp thrashing riffs. But it's even more effectively complemented with the melodic parts that bring truly uncanny atmosphere of horror.   
Everything works great here, I think. "Venture" is diverse enough to keep you interested and filled with as many great and catchy riffs that it certainly won't be forgotten easily. There's nice balance between faster parts (take a notice to that pounding, heavy drumming) and some doomier fragments, also between more aggressive and melodic riffs. Mikael Pettersson's vocals are constantly screaming, with no effort to make them more various, but that's OK, I don't mind, because it adds more vicious character to this music. Anyway, I can hear many splendid moments of "Venture" and my definite favourite on the album is the longest track here called "Celebration" - fantastic and so capturing with its emotions, atmosphere and great songwriting. The opening pieces "Archways" and "The Vast" are also noteworthy. But generally I like everything about "Venture" and could listen to this album over and over again.  
Hold on! I need to compliment also that incredibly warm, natural sound of this record and great artwork (although I liked the graphics for "In Putrescence" more). The vinyl looks fantastic, sounds brilliant, so it's a must to have in collection, not only for Tribulation fans I think.  
Standout tracks: "Celebration", "Archways"  
Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment