Monday 18 January 2021

Deathspawn - Reverendus

DEATHSPAWN - Reverendus (DEFENSE Records - CD 2020)

Few years ago I had a pleasure to review debut album from a band called Resurrection and titled "Betrayed by God". In this review (where I rated the album with 8/10 points) I concluded that there's a great potential and hopes for this band. It turns out Resurrection is no more! But Deathspawn is born and the debut CD "Reverendus" is out on Defense Records. Well, I am not sure what happened there that the name was changed and if Deathspawn is completely new entity or rather continuation of Resurrection... But I know one thing - the music is still great. 

And if I compared songs from "Betrayed by God" to the likes of Immolation, Krisiun, Morbid Angel, Aeon, Hate Eternal or Malevolent Creation, then here I can really do the same. And that should already tell you everything about what to expect from "Reverendus". So, this is very intense, brutal and ferocious death metal, which is somewhere in between the old school and modern styles. The production is one of the aspects, which will put it to the more modern death metal tag - it's clean, but powerful and absolutely crispy. Everything here clicks perfectly, which is a nice sign of times, where such a young band can achieve such a good production. This sound fits this death metal sound perfectly, this is why riffs sound like sharp razors and drums are blasting like crazy. 

As for the songwriting, I have absolutely nothing to complain. Deathspawn does everything right. As I mentioned, the music is very intense, so there's a lot of fast death metal, Deathspawn is like a machine, punching with relentless force. But there's enough diversity to get more interesting results. I truly like these riffs, as well as some nice guitar leads almost alike to James Murphy. And I don't really need to mention anything else. This album is very even, there are no weak points, with 36 minutes on the clock, all songs sound solid and I just like how nasty and energetic this shit sounds, especially if you play it loud, to give a nice headache to all neighbours. And I know that nowadays’ scene preference is mainly that murky, suffocating death metal alike to Spectral Voice and the likes – and I also love it. But don’t forget about pure blasting death metal also. Recommended. 

Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment