Friday 5 February 2021

Amputory - Ode to Gore

AMPUTORY - Ode to Gore (XTREEM Music - CD 2015)

Would you believe if I say that I have this CD more or less since the year of its release (which was 2015), but I have not given it a listen at all? Just few days ago I gave it a first spin. Well, it's all because of the "I buy too much stuff" syndrome, but they also say "better late than never"... And I am happy that I finally played "Ode to Gore", because it is a very solid album. Amputory - who are Finnish band, by the way - plays this very easy to get into, memorable, but still brutal and sick death metal in the old school vein. Their music has absolutely nothing groundbreaking, but it has great riffs, a nice groove and atmosphere and it also has that crushing, powerful factor, which is always needed in death metal music. 

Stylistically this shit is... well, Amputory are from Finland, so they just have to sound Scandinavian. Of corpse they do! But there's more of the Swedish stench to it than Finnish, what doesn't disturb me at all. Amputory sounds like Grave, but also like one of these Rogga Johansson bands, especially Paganizer, speaking of the brutal feel, vocals style, groove and all that stuff. I like that these songs - which mostly are mid paced, crushing, catchy death metal tunes - have also some melodic parts, as they give more flavour to this stench of rotten corpse. More sweetness, I would say haha! But really, there's nothing what would be done wrong. Songs are so easy to get into, you play this album and just like it immediately. It doesn't require much work from your brain cells, you know?! And it's good. It's just fun stuff, perfect if you want to grab couple of beers and just listen to some old school death metal. Great, clean production too... Nice. Where’s more? It's been nearly six years now. If I am lucky I will listen to new album in 2028! 

Standout tracks: “Illusion of Sanity”, “Unclean”, “Cleansing the Blade” 

Verdict: 75/100


No comments:

Post a Comment