Thursday 22 October 2020

Gatecreeper - Sonoran Depravation



GATECREEPER - Sonoran Depravation (RELAPSE Records - LP 2018)

Some of you may think that the whole existence of 387th band, which does sound like Entombed or Swedish death metal in general is simply pointless and boring. Well, you have right to think so, sure. But think twice before you cross off bands like Gatecreeper and especially if you do so before giving them even a small attention and at least one listen. The thing is, there are many bands, which play this sort of death metal nowadays - some are better, some are worse. Hardly any of them discovers anything new, but I personally don't expect them to do so. What I want to hear is killer, crushing and fierce death metal in my most favourite style. And here comes Gatecreeper from Arizona (Sick!) and this band simply fuckin kills. 

I'm not gonna go much into details what the music on "Sonoran Depravation" is like. There's not even much point to do that, as it's enough to say that it is an old school death metal in the vein of Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, Bloodbath, Grave, etc. If you dig this style of music, you will love this album. Gatecreeper rivals the best in the contest for the catchiest and most fun Swedish riffs ever. Really every song is filled with that shit that hits my head like crazy and makes a bloody mess with my brain. All their songs are memorable, but they are also aggressive and vicious, while the production is properly clean, yet very powerful. It's one of those albums that are impossible to be played quietly. You just want to turn the volume up and let all your neighbours feel this noise! Gatecreeper comes with crushing riffs, some melodic parts, everything sounds like a perfect soundtrack to the mosh pit... It really is an album, which hooked me in from the very first listen. And that fuckin vinyl won't leave my turntable for a whole week! 

Grreeeeaaattt! If I had anything to complain about at all, then I may say that I am not the biggest fun of this sort of screaming vocals, which Chase H. Mason uses. I am a fan of more traditional growls, rather than screaming vocals (alike to Tompa for instance). But as you could notice, they do not disturb me so much anyway and I like the final effect a lot. "Sonoran Depravation" is just a great record and another example for how strong and impressive young US death metal scene is nowadays, with such a shitload of killer bands. Gatecreeper belongs to my favourites, yes! 

Standout tracks: "Craving Flesh", "Rotting as One", “Stronghold”, “Lost Forever” 

Verdict: 80/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment