Saturday 29 December 2018

Huoripukki - Voima & Barbaria

HUORIPUKKI - Voima & Barbaria (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2018)
I honestly have never heard about Huoripukki before, I have no knowledge about this band's history, previous recordings, etc. But I received their "Voima & Barbaria" CD, so this is my first encounter with this bestial kommando. As far as I managed to find out, this CD compiles two EPs: "Voima on oikeutta" from 2017 and "Barbaria.nyt" from 2016. The booklet doesn't say that, but the tracklist fits the songs from these two releases and then you also have the title "Voima & Barbaria", right? 
And what can I say... This Finnish band plays a very raw, primitive and morbid death / black metal, it's almost somewhere on the edge to some of these bestial acts like Archgoat, etc. I personally have some problem with this kind of bands, as you really have to be good and be able to deliver something special and crushing to impress me. Huoripukki doesn't do that, I'm afraid. Their music is OK, it’s solid and listenable effort, but to be honest, I cannot find there anything what would catch my attention and make me want to come back to this album immediately. It’s pretty forgettable, with a bunch of chaotic, very harsh and obscure riffs, vicious vocals and sick, brutal atmosphere. I quite like their doom / death metal feel, which appears when the music is slower, but that's pretty much all. There’s nothing about "Voima & Barbaria" what would scream “a must to have” and “what a brilliant record!”. If you fancy obscure bands, check them out. If you demand a bit more, then just skip it. 
Verdict: 60/100

No comments:

Post a Comment